Thursday, July 22, 2010

Teal Ceilings

So, as some of you already know, I am moving in to a new rental. I was about to say "new house" but that would be a lie. Yes it is a house, but it is a very old house. So old in fact that it does not have wired in phone jacks, it has added in as an afterthought phone jacks. Yes, my new rental is so old that it predates the home phone.

Anyway, the previous tenant was a smoker so I asked my landlady if I could paint. I'd hoped this would serve two purposes. The first to get rid of the smoke smell, and the second to make the place look cleaner and less... um... teal.

Someone had a thing for teal, and neon green, and fucsia, and electric blue, and just to balance it all out I guess, this really pale kind of sick looking yellow... oh and the bathroom is orange, sort of.

Happily my landlady said yes, and that she would pay for the paint (hurrah). So here's where things started to fall apart a little bit. I decided I better paint before I move my stuff in, but then I had flyball and then I booked a million clients, and so now I am painting in whatever free waking moments I have, none of my stuff is moved, and I have to be all done by sunday morning when my brother is coming to help me move the furniture. Minor panic attack there, but I bring these things on myself.

Anyway, I selected colours, bought paint, and decided to start in the bird room because it was small, and that's the one that can't have any odour when I complete my move. Following the painting for dummies directions I started with that teal ceiling. I painted, and then I painted some more, and I had to keep bloody well painting because my brush and roller took OFF more paint than it was putting on. I got one ugly coat up, decided I hated painting, and regretted ever starting.

But you can't return tinted paint.

Also, once I start something like this I have to finish it otherwise when my parents say "you're stretching yourself too thin" they'll be right and I hate that.

So the next day I came back, put on a second horrible coat and then moved on full of dread to the living room. The paint went on to that ceiling fine, then it went up without a problem in the foyer and the bedroom too. All only need one coat, no problems, the bedroom didn't even take a full half hour to do I was so well practiced by then. I came back to the bird room and looked at the horrible mess on the ceiling. What was wrong? Why wasn't it working?

The answer came while I was laying on the floor having a break in the kitchen and I spotted the old paint cans in the basement stairwell.
Apparently the same genius who decided the ceiling in that room should be teal also decided that OIL BASED paints were an excellent choice.

No wonder my latex paint wasn't going on! When I left last night my third and final coat was bubbling off the ceiling. Bubble bubble.

No painting today, I don't have time, will get a load of things into the car instead that can be stored in the shed, outside, and in the cupboards in the bird room. Walls Friday, trim Saturday, done by Sunday is the plan. Kitchen and bathroom can be done after I move in.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment