Thursday, October 22, 2009

Is it broken?

So, street hockey accident, complete loss of the use of my right hand, after several days I gave in and saw a doctor.

Doctor says he thinks it is broken, sends me for an x-ray.

X-ray comes back negative, but I go see another doctor at the walk in because a week and a half later I still can't use my hand.

This doctor takes a look at the report, says the other doctor requested an x-ray for the WRONG BONE. He thinks my hand is broken, but that it is a different bone than the last doctor thought. He writes me an x-ray request form.

It takes 5 days for the x-ray office to send x-rays to the doctor's office. It would be three days before I would have the chance to get to the x-ray place, that is open the exact same hours as I am in school. I decide I do not have eight more days to find out whether my hand is broken. I finally agree (thanks Dad) to go to the emergency room at the hospital.

I get awesome advice about a smaller hospital not too far away with far shorter waiting times than Victoria General (Thank Krista) and spend 3 hours there after school. I get the right bone x-rayed and speak to a doctor that actually seems to know what he's doing.

My hand is not broken, I have, in the doctor's words "Really messed up three of the four muscles that make your thumb work". It is not a break, it is not a sprain, but my thumb muscles are so beat up they would be marvelously tender to eat. Yum Yum.

He gave me a fiber glass half-cast to protect it at school, I can remove it at night. The muscles will probably not heal until I'm done the course, simply due to what I put them through every day, but there is no risk to the long term health of my limb. Perfect.

He was very impressed with the bruising, which he described as 'spectacular'.
I bruise spectacularly, so there.

No comments:

Post a Comment