Friday, June 4, 2010

Dog Songs

So, in case you haven't already figured it out. I'm a bit of a geek, and sentimental to boot.

When I worked at Cochrane Humane Society I started to do this weird little thing when no one was around. I sang songs to the dogs.

See, the dogs barked a lot, and sometimes they were skittish fearful things. My singing served a dual purpose. It shut them up, and it calmed their nerves. It should be very clear that I am a terrible singer. In no way am I claiming that I soothed savage beasts with the sound of my singing voice. Most likely I sounded so terrible that the barking ones were stunned to silence, and the fearful ones decided I must be so mentally deficient so as to be no threat to their well being whatsoever.

It started out innocently enough. I would just sing whatever I'd heard on the radio on the way to work that morning. But then it started to not be enough. I couldn't sing 'Island in the Sun' to the wooly mammoth malemute cross, he'd die of heat stroke! Soon I started to come across this problem with other dogs and other songs. I may want to sing 'The End of the World' to the best of my recollection, but that would probably terrify the already trembling pug, and 'Run Runaway' would be a really bad idea for a dog who was surrendered for, well, always running away from home. You can understand my predicament. So... every dog had to have his or her own individual song.

'Run runaway' worked for an old border collie named max because "I like black and white. Dream in black and white" and the nervous stumpy who likes to lead on his walks got a round of "following the leader the leader the leader. Following the leader where ever he may go". Mercedes the heeler "Lord won't you buy me a mercedes benz?" and the big mutt in holding? "If you can't run with the big dogs big dog let me walk you out". The really whiny whimpery ones got some Aaron English "oh lover go on and cry me all the waters of this world, and I'll row you home"

Every day was a new and exciting soundtrack based on who had come in, who had been adopted out, etc.

I did not sing to the cats.

Cats deserve nothing but stony silence!

Eventually this seeped out of the work place and into my home and Kodi got his very own theme song.




I have to use a youtube video, because I have no idea how to get stuff off my itunes on to my blog. It's probably not legal to try anyway.
I picked this song while laying in my dorm room at university pining for my Kodi. This was back when I had marvelous dreams of traveling the world and hoped that Kodi understood that no matter how many times I left him, I belonged to him.
As it turns out I no longer have those dreams. I wouldn't dream of being anywhere where Kodi couldn't be too.


I left my job at the shelter, and my dog theme songs were reduced to one. Just Kodi's. The insanity ends there does it not? I made a full recovery and no longer assign songs to dogs right?

Wrong.

The other day I caught myself for the hundredth time dancing about my living room with Badger in my arms singing this over and over again.



What better song for my floppy, baby blue eyed black and white boy?

Yeah. I'm a geek. But does your dog have his own theme song? Didn't think so.

.

3 comments:

  1. Goddammit how you get so 'DORABLE????






    blame dargles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha actually my dog does have her own theme song! brown eyed girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm less crazy than I thought then. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete