Thursday, January 14, 2010

Atoll

So, I was sorting through some files and stuff, because I keep way too much paper work and I don't want to be a hoarder. Anyway, I found an old poetry project from Jr. High English class, grade seven to be exact.

The project, as I recall, was supposed to correspond somehow with our social studies curriculum which involved a deserted island type of deal, like the creation of government and stuff (it's all coming back to me as I type) anyway, so to correspond we had to do an island themed poetry project. That is, seven poems of different types all following the same theme. I was reading this crappy grade seven poetry and when I got to my cinquaine poem I became so angry!

!!!

See, the rules of the cinquaine state that the first and last word need to be synonyms. They have to be two different words that mean the same thing.
My first word was 'island'. Find a synonym for 'island'. Guess what? In grade seven I did indeed look up another word for 'island'.

This word is 'atoll'

Beside this word my teacher put one of these '?' and docked me the appropriate number of marks for using a word she didn't know existed.

If you don't know what a word means, then look it up! Do not just assume that it is not a word! Christ woman! I didn't like you then and I hate you even more now.

For anyone else who doubts it, here:

atoll |ˈatˌôl; ˈatˌäl; ˈāˌtôl; ˈāˌtäl|
noun
a ring-shaped reef, island, or chain of islands formed of coral.
ORIGIN early 17th cent.: from Maldivian atoḷu.

See that? It's a noun! It means ring shaped island! I'd say look it up, but I already did it for you.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment