Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mould

About two weeks ago I went into the closet near my bed to pull out a brand new dress I bought before coming out here to wear out. But when I took the dress, black with a white hem, out of the closet I discovered that mould had grown on the hem, ruining it. As a result I checked the cupboard where I kept the rest of my clothing and found that the outside wall of every closet and cupboard was wet with condensation. I have since pulled all my clothing out of the closets, ensured it was dry and mold free, and am now living out of a laundry hamper at the kitchen table.

I thought my mold problem was resolved until today.

The blinds behind the bed were tied down with twist ties because the little plastic holders on the bottom are broken. This fact, combined with the fact that I closed the outside shutter to keep the bed area a little better insulated both meant that I just never bothered to open those blinds. But last night I tucked a hand in under my pillow and discovered it was wet, so I flipped on the light and found that the entire top edge of my bed was damp from water condensing on the window behind the shut blinds and there was mould growing on the wall just above the mattress. So my temporary solution at 1 am was to just turn around and sleep with my head at the foot of the bed, away from the mould.

Of course, this morning, I untied the blinds and opened them up to find mould growing all around the window frame, down the wall, on the little fabric headboard, and on the wall behind the mattress. I decided to change all the sheets and treat the wall and window, after wiping them clean, with a lysol mould and mildew killing spray. Then I pulled the pillow cases off the pillows and found along the edge of one of the pillows just a mass of mould.

Ew. And a saturday full of scrubbing and spraying for me. I don't think I can save the pillow. This trailer was not designed to be used in the winter, this is clear in more ways than this, but the mould was sort of the last straw. I'll be sleeping with my head where my feet used to be from now on.

1 comment:

  1. Sooooo - how many weeks left before you get back to cold Alberta? You must be getting near the end now. And how is that hand doing? Pat

    ReplyDelete