Monday, May 3, 2010

Theiving landlady the sequel

So, quick recap for those just joining us here.
when I was living in Victoria I was renting a camper from a couple on Vancouver Island.
I initially made a $200 deposit on this camper, to be refunded when I returned the trailer in good condition. About a month later, still before my move in date, I received an email explaining that the insurance deductible for the trailer had gone up from $200 to $300, so would I please send another $100 deposit for the trailer.
I was a little miffed, because we'd already entered into a contract and I felt it wasn't entirely fair that they change the deal after we'd come to an agreement, but I went ahead and paid without complaint because the email clearly stated that I would receive my deposit, $300, in cash, when I moved out without having damaged the trailer.
When my move out date came, I was shorted $100. The landlady claimed not to be carrying enough cash, or a cheque book, or a bank card I guess, but that if I emailed her when I got back to Calgary she would send me a cheque for the missing $100.

An email battle ensued, during which she tried several different excuses for what amounted to a raise in my rent for the duration that would allow her to keep that $100 still owing to me. The recurring theme in her defense was 'my husband has cancer'. And while I think that is terrible, I still don't see why I should have to pay for it. When I made my case as clearly and to the point as possible, with our entire correspondence included I had had enough and told her to shut up and leave me alone (in more, politer mature language), that she can keep MY $100 because I don't have the time or the energy to deal with her over it, but politely suggested she read her province's landlord tenant act before ever renting to another person, she shot herself in the foot and contacted the BC tenancy department. I guess she wanted someone to tell her that she was right and I was wrong. So, instead of taking her get out of jail free card and leave me alone, she was blown away when BC tenancy told her she did, indeed, owe me $100. She told me she would pay me in April 2010.

April came! So I sent her an email letting her know that I had a new mailing address. I waited a week, and got no response. Then I sent her a second email, and waited two weeks with no response. With April drawing to a close I sent her a registered letter by mail that included a very idle threat of legal action (who has time for lawsuits or $100?), then went off to a flyball tournament.

When I returned I had an email in my inbox dated April 30. It is a rather long email, considering all it needed to say was that she received my letter and that my cheque would be in the mail. Instead she felt it important to lecture me on the money I wasted paying for a registered letter (despite the fact that my emails were going unanswered) and to tell me all about how her husband's cancer treatment was a failure, implying the whole while what an impatient and horrible person I was for wanting the money I should have got from her in the first week of December 2009 nearly 5 months later. Her email says she's sending a cheque, but that it will be post dated for June 27 and that I must cash it on the 27th, no sooner, and no later. what?
A second email, sent a few minutes after the first was TYPED ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS LIKE THIS and corrected the date. I only have to wait until May 27 to accept the money she owes me... but I must cash it exactly on that date or apparently I am completely out of luck. So, everyone mark your calenders and remind me to cash my cheque, should it ever actually arrive, on May 27.

So, she managed, in the process of telling me she would send the money to nag me, play the guilt trip card, and YELL AT ME ON THE INTERNETS.

At the end of May my $100 will have been nearly 6 months overdue. I should charge interest, but I don't want to be typed at in capitals anymore.

I will keep you all updated as to whether or not it bounces on the 27th.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment